Planet Learning is a personalized, demand-driven learning system that is affordable, scalable, and networked, and functions offline and off of the grid to make it available to as many people, in as many places as possible.
At the core of the Planet Learning system is a repository of free, open access and public domain resources to benefit all learners.
The platform has two components:
- an online cloud-based repository for managing learning content and aggregating user metrics, and
- a community server that delivers learning resources, courses, and learner management tools to a local area network.
The dashboard also contains:
- a record of achievements,
- a calendar of events, and
- an internal email system for communicating with coaches and fellow members.
The community server also includes data collection widgets that can be used to gather a number of usage indicators. Activity reports are aggregated by gender and age and detail members use, the number of resources opened, the names of the most frequently opened resource, and member resources ratings. This anonymous user data is available to anyone with access to the management side of the system.
Planet Learning has been proven highly effective in improving learning opportunities for Syrian refugees in Jordan, Somali refugees in Kenya, primary students in more than 20 schools across Ghana, and village health workers in Uganda.