The mission of Open Learning Exchange is focused on moving from education to learning. We are making this happen with our Planet Learning system, an offline learning innovation that contains:
- A rich multimedia digital library;
- Templates for course development;
- Tools for content creation; and
- Assessment modules to certify learning, evaluate the system, and monitor community demographics.
Our Design Principles
It is now possible, as never before, to ensure that everyone can enjoy learning that is:
- Freely available and of high quality, in ways that integrate culture, social and economic status and location.
- Personalized, promoting each person’s experience of power, meaning and connection with others, in ways that enable each to acquire the values, knowledge and skills they need to thrive.
- Community-centered, supporting and sustaining its members’ values, interests and needs.
- Connected, continuously exchanging ideas and resources with the rest of the world.
Historically three key barriers have limited the effectiveness of learning. They are the lack of:
- Quality learning resources relevant to learner interests and needs;
- Effective teaching and leadership for learning to be meaningful;
- Global connections, limited by impersonal, one-size-fits all structures and organizational silos isolated from the rest of the world.
OLE’s Planet Learning system is designed to overcome each of these barriers, everywhere, with an emphasis on ensuring quality learning is available to everyone, especially those in the most remote, poverty-stricken, violent and climate disrupted parts of the world.
Planet Learning therefore must:
- Include the values, knowledge and skills required for its members to continue learning throughout their lives, make a good living that enables their families and community to thrive.
- Be centered within communities that assume meaningful responsibility for sustaining learning for all throughout life.
- Be supported by talent that is developed and supported in their community.
- Work off the Internet most of the time while connected to the Internet periodically.
- Work off the electric grid, maintained by local sustainable power.
- Be sufficiently inexpensive that it can be made available to everyone everywhere.
Thus, the Planet Learning system:
- Helps communities create a Community Learning Center that provides every member of a community access to learning resources they need.
- Uses the Raspberry Pi as a server that works off the Internet and is able to broadcast an “Intranet” Wifi signal to a village.
- Integrates open source software to provide a complete personalized approach to learning where each learner has their own dashboard of things they are reading and courses they are taking, including courses that comprise a “career pathway”.
- Operates on any digital device that can open a browser so that it can be “checked out” and taken home for study.
- Connects periodically to a National Center on the Internet, sharing data on the activities in the Community Learning Center, sharing community-created resources to the rest of the world and receiving new resources from the National Center.
We Work in Partnership
Working with in-country educational entrepreneurs who establish independent organization, with leadership, staff and funding, OLE provides strategic advice and technical support and regularly bring them together to share and learn from each other. Our partners customize the Planet Learning system and open software tools to meet the need of their people and community.
Planet Learning’s powerful tools for personalized learning, its friendly interface, and limited infrastructure have been shown to be highly effective in established schools and in informal settings with refugees and internally displaced people. Its remarkably low cost makes it now possible for every country to guarantee all of its people access to a quality, meaningful education.