Free Education Library for Syrians
To enable the millions of Syrian refugee youth living in Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey and Bulgaria––through free access to meaningful quality learning resources––to rise up from lives of disruption and experience a sense of agency, meaning and connection needed to thrive.
“While I was in Jordan, I was sitting with 50 adolescent Syrian girls who are part of These Inspiring Girls Enjoy Reading (TIGERS) in the UNHCR Za’atari camp where 80,000 Syrian refugees are stranded. I asked them to tell me what they wanted to do when they grew up.
“As the young women spoke to me about their dreams and goals, they stood up in front of their peers and enthusiastically declared their future: one after another, one wanting to be a pediatrician, another an engineer, another a math teacher, and another a clothing designer. Each young woman spoke with a sense of possibility.”
—Richard Rowe, Founder and CEO, Open Learning Exchange
The Free Education Library for Syrians (FELS) tackles the challenge faced by the millions of young Syrians of being among a lost generation. By providing access to meaningful quality learning, the result we hope for is an increasing number of Syrian refugees living in Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey and Bulgaria who will be to able to continue to study and learn.
The Free Education Library for Syrians (FELS) will provide Syrian refugees in their host country a repository of learning resources that will enable their continued learning of Syrian educational content, along with resources to pursue career pathways, as well as guides helping refugees of all ages to adjust to life in their host country.
The multi-media library, in Arabic and in the primary languages of their current host country, will be free. Each learner will have a personal dashboard with the resources and courses they have chosen that can be used online or downloaded. Youth and adults will have the opportunity to form and join learning teams with shared goals and will be able to find volunteer mentors and coaches as they learn how to rebuild their lives.
The Free Education Library for Syrians Will Benefit:
- Syrian refugees, especially children and youth, who will be able to develop the knowledge and skills they need.
- Organizations serving Syrian refugees will have access to more effective learning resources based on user feedback.
- Organizations participating as members will be able to identify the strengths and weaknesses in their programs and to implement improvements.
- Policy makers and program developers will be able to identify resource gaps using the repository for research.
- The total cost of education programs for Syrian refugees, as it will be measurably reduced.